[ih] 'internet' and "Internet" (fwd)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 8 09:15:47 PDT 2023

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023, Clem Cole wrote:
> John, in all respect to your observation and desire, you have a nice idea;
> but I believe that  history has shown it does not work that way.
>
> In fact, while Noel points out the media like the AP, is misusing the
> terms;

They're not misusing the term, they're reminding us that we don't get to tell
the world what to do, nor what the definition of a word (or Word) is.

> FWIW:  this is hardly the first or only time when the media as well
> as members of society have taken a term and implied something different
> than what it actually means.

See above.  It would be nice if we were lingustic kings of the world, but we're
not.  As I said before, we're not going to impress anyone or make any friends
by insisting that we are.

So what's a snappy term for a private group of IP networks?  Intranet is alrady
taken.

R's,
John