[ih] 'internet' and "Internet"

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Aug 8 08:16:12 PDT 2023

It appears that Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> said:
>    > From: "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>
>
>    > You know, sometimes it's time to let go.

>The fact that 'ordinary' people (such as the afore-mentioned idiots at the
>AP) are confused in their terminology is not relevant. ...

I understand the difference, but in retrospect, it wasn't a great idea
to come up with two terms with different meanings that differ only in
capitalization. (How does one pronounce internet and Internet?)

Rather than telling the entire world that they are stupid, which is
not a great way to change minds, perhaps we can come up with a snappy
memorable term for a disconnected group of networks that exchange IP
packets that doesn't look and sound exactly like a word that means
something else. As already noted, there are lots of them in the IoT
world, at least I hope there are.

R's,
John

PS: Of course, XKCD has something to say on this topic:

https://xkcd.com/1984/