[ih] cut and paste

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 16:13:43 PDT 2023

On 8/7/23 4:01 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> AFAIK, vi was independent of TECO.  TECO started on the DEC PDP-1 in
> the early 60s.  Unix and vi came along more than a decade later IIRC.
> But it's certainly likely that the implementors of vi had used TECO
> before or were at least aware of it.  At its beginnings, TECO was
> often used to edit programs on paper tape (!) with a printing terminal.
Yeah, I knew the acronym was Tape Error COrrector, iirc. But the Bell
Labs folks had to be pretty influenced by it since they used DEC equipment.

> TECO was ostensibly an editor, but in reality it was a programming
> language and runtime environment.   I recall that somene actually
> wrote a timesharing system, in TECO macros, just as a hack.
Because, of course. Was TECO only available on Tops 10? When I was at
UCI, we had a DEC-10 which ran another OS and the editor we used was
called the F-editor. But it's possible it was there and I just didn't
know about it.

> FYI, here's the commands, circa 1976:
> https://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/ai/ai_600dpi/TECO_V508_Nov1976.pdf
Oh, so it did have the convention of using control characters for
commands by then. ^G in particular was obvious taken directly from TECO
by Emacs.

Mike