[ih] cut and paste

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 14:52:41 PDT 2023

On 8/7/23 2:35 PM, Steve Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> EMACS had -- and still has -- control-X for cutting, control-C for copying,
> and, IIRC, control-V for pasting.  I used EMACS regularly at MIT in the
> late 60s.  Others can supply more details.  HOWEVER, I don't believe a
> mouse was involved.  It was straight ASCII text, without fonts, boldface,
> etc.

It's funny that I had to actually think about this because I've used
emacs so long that my fingers do the thinking, but C-C is not copy with
either Gosmacs or Stallmacs (I forget what it was with Gosmacs, but in
Stallmacs it's a prefix like Alt). Normally the way you copied was to
set a mark, cut it (C-X) into the paste buffer and the yank (C-Y) it to
put it back. Not sure when it was TECO based but I wouldn't be surprised
if it was the same.

Mike