[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Sun Aug 6 17:46:37 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

It seems to me that, quite apart from the historical experience, trying to require a flag day among the number of addresses that were the v4 Internet when everyone realized there was a problem was just a logistical impossibility?  Certainly, when I discuss the TCP cutover period with people (I am careful to note I was not involved), I like to point out that the rules at the time meant that you could still get a printed directory of all the _people_ connected to the ARPANET.  (I am aware that this directory was by then probably incomplete, but that it still made conceptual sense is nevertheless meaningful.)

Reminding people of that difference is quite important, because there are people today who are attempting to regulate the Internet as though they still have their arms around it as the DoD had just before the Internet emerged. I think it would be hugely valuable to remind people what the network population was in those days.

I love this list. Thanks for all the contributions.

—
Andrew Sullivan
Please excuse my clumbsy thums