[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Aug 6 04:34:24 PDT 2023

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have some memories of the TCP/IP Flag Day they can share?

I'm doing some writing about "how network ecosystems develop" looking at
how the Internet evolved from the days the net was a gleam in a few
people's eyes, Licklider distributed his famous memo, the NWG & IETF
evolved, Flag Day, etc.  Also looking at the Environmental Movement
(Earth Day, Whole Earth Catalog, ...), FOSS, Crisis Mapping,
Entrepreneurship Support, Makers - all of which I've been up close and
personal with, and now trying to document some common threads & techniques.

A particular focus is on organizing for significant
changes/transformations - like the transition to IP that pretty much
marks the birth of the Internet as we know it.  Hence a particular
interest in what led up to the Flag Day, and how folks responded.

In particular, I'm wondering how folks organized at various network
sites (universities, military bases, etc.) to respond to the mandate.
Working groups, plans & programs, that sort of thing. How did folks get
their act together?

Anybody have any stories they can share?

Thanks Very Much,

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown