[ih] nice story about dave mills and NTP

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 12:50:34 PDT 2022

Jack,
On 03-Oct-22 06:55, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> The short answer is "Yes".  The Time-To-Live field was intended to count
> down actual transit time as a datagram proceeded through the Internet.
> A datagram was to be discarded as soon as some algorithm determined it
> wasn't going to get to its destination before its TTL ran to zero.   But
> we didn't have the means to measure time, so hop-counts were the
> placeholder.
>
> I wasn't involved in the IPV6 work, but I suspect the change of the
> field to "hop count" reflected the reality of what the field actually
> was.   But it would have been better to have actually made Time work.

To be blunt, why?

There was no promise of guaranteed latency in those days, was there?
As soon as queueing theory entered the game, that wasn't an option.
So it wasn't just the absence of precise time, it was the presence of
random delays that made a hop count the right answer, not just the
convenient answer.

I think that's why IPv6 never even considered anything but a hop count.
The same lies behind the original TOS bits and their rebranding as
the Differentiated Services Code Point many years later. My motto
during the diffserv debates was "You can't beat queueing theory."

There are people in the IETF working hard on Detnet ("deterministic
networking") today. Maybe they have worked out how to beat queueing
theory, but I doubt it. What I learned from working on real-time
control systems is that you can't guarantee timing outside a very
limited and tightly managed set of resources, where unbounded
queues cannot occur.

    Brian