[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 19:20:49 PDT 2022

On 19-Mar-22 10:28, Johan Helsingius via Internet-history wrote:
> On 18/03/2022 19:34, Andrew G. Malis via Internet-history wrote:
>> It's been a while, but as I recall, as a part of this requirement,
>> TCP/IP-to-OSI transition plans were necessary. While I was at BBN, I wrote
>> such a transition plan for the MILNET (or it might have been for the DoD as
>> a whole, as I said, things are hazy). I'm sure that it just went on a shelf
>> somewhere once the requirement for a plan was met.
>
> I still have the "EUnet transition plan to OSI" (that Daniel Karrenberg
> wrote) in my bookshelf. I think we all knew it would never be used, but
> it was required by the EU.

Yes, that was at the time that *we* knew TCP/IP had won, but the suits
in Brussels didn't.

Google tells me that Daniel presented that plan in public at the RARE
Networkshop in Les Diablerets, Switzerland in 1988. One year later in
Trieste I presented "Is OSI Too Late?" (and we all knew the answer).

    Brian