[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

touch at strayalpha.com touch at strayalpha.com
Thu Mar 3 17:40:31 PST 2022

—
Dr. Joe Touch, temporal epistemologist
www.strayalpha.com

> On Mar 3, 2022, at 1:34 PM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> But why does there NEED to be a separate charging scheme?
>
> Seems to me that supporting multicast is a LOT cheaper than supporting all that extra traffic generated by lots of redundant traffic.  Multicast would also likely reduce pressure on chokepoints, at ISP boundaries.

IMO because it’s too easy for ME to do less work by asking YOU to do more.

ISPs ‘trade’ traffic; if IN balances OUT, no money needs to change hands. Imbalances are easy to price.

Multicast isn’t, because I can send you one packet that can cost you one, 100, or 1,000,000 packets of capacity, and you won’t know until it traverses your network.

It’s too expensive to keep track of that so it can be fairly charged.

Joe