[ih] Which two letters? [Internet should be in private hands]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:59:57 PST 2022

My favourite case was not the notorious cs.ucl.ac.uk, whose mail often ended
up in Czechoslovakia, but uk.oracle.com, Oracle's London office, who supported
CERN when we first became an Oracle customer. JANET, naturally, couldn't
forward to com.oracle.uk, but our gateway thought they could.

We got the heuristics in our mail gateway right in the end, but it took a while.

It was around that time that Jon Postel politely explained that we couldn't
have .cern., and recommended .cern.int., which we declined because politics.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter