[ih] What does being "in charge of the Internet" mean?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:48:39 PST 2022

On 09-Dec-22 06:04, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> the design intent was that each network would be operated independently

And a good thing too! Asking who's in charge of the Internet is like asking who's in charge of the roads, only more so. It all depends.

But I do remember the strange looks we used to get in places like Brussels and Geneva when telling various officials that nobody was in charge and it all worked by rough consensus and running code, and no, formal international standards were not required, thank you. I was even accused of being disingenuous at an OECD-sponsored meeting when I explained that the Internet Architecture Board wasn't in charge of the Internet's architecture.

The Internet Governance Forum is good for a laugh to this day.

    Brian