[ih] What does being "in charge of the Internet" mean?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Dec 8 07:22:39 PST 2022

On 12/7/2022 3:55 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> IIRC, one of the fundamental questions of the "Internet Experiment"
> was whether or not it was possible to create and operate a network for
> which no one person or entity was "in charge".   Prior networks, such
> as ARPANET, were managed and operated by a single locus of control,
> e.g., DARPA/DCA for setting policy, and contractor BBN to handle the
> technical operations of the switching fabric.

Given that the Internet had a single backbone for a long time, I'm not
sure the no one in charge goal was pursued all that explicitly.

Rather it was backed into, when additional backbones developed
independently, finally producing a concession to make it possible to
support -- route among -- them equally.  And this was NSFNet time, not
DARPA time.

d/

--
Dave Crocker