[ih] What does being "in charge of the Internet" mean?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Dec 7 15:55:06 PST 2022

On 12/6/22 00:55, Dr Eberhard W Lisse via Internet-history wrote:
> What does being "in charge of the Internet" mean?
>
> el

Getting back to this question...

IIRC, one of the fundamental questions of the "Internet Experiment" was
whether or not it was possible to create and operate a network for which
no one person or entity was "in charge".   Prior networks, such as
ARPANET, were managed and operated by a single locus of control, e.g.,
DARPA/DCA for setting policy, and contractor BBN to handle the technical
operations of the switching fabric.

If you look at other kinds of infrastructures, much of this issue of
control has been worked out over the years.  E.g., the air travel
"network" has all sorts of rules and procedures, policies and agreements
between countries, ancillary mechanisms such as air traffic control, and
funding channels such as gate charges.   There are also laws and
constraints governing things like airport operations, crew and passenger
safety, cargo restrictions, etc. Various organizations, both public and
private, are "in charge".

Similar control structures have been developed, sometimes over
centuries, for other forms of "moving stuff", e.g, trains, automobiles,
ships, etc.

The telephone system is one of the newer infrastructures, but has been
around long enough to have developed a lot of such control mechanisms
with multiple entities in charge of various pieces. Still, it is not
complete.  For example, in the US at least, there have recently been
laws passed to combat "spoofing" of telephone numbers and require system
operators to implement them.

IMHO, the Internet is still too young to have developed such control
structures.  So there are many aspects of the Internet as a data
transportation infrastructure that are not yet developed.

One example, from perhaps 20 years ago...  At the time, delivering
software across country or state boundaries required payment of tariffs
or duties.   Such "control" had been created and still applied to
software delivered on CDs, i.e., some kind of physical media.  However,
FTPing across the Internet bypassed those mechanisms.    The "control
mechanisms" for taxes and tariffs hadn't adapted to the new world of the
Internet.

IMHO, "in charge of the Internet" means having the policies, procedures,
mechanisms, and organizations in place, with a mix of public and private
components, to assure that the Internet is operated and evolved with the
same goals as other infrastructures - e.g., safety, availability,
conformance to laws, reliability, and other such aspects of things that
we all depend upon.  Since the Internet is a global infrastructure, that
necessarily will also involve international diplomacy and politics,
treaties and organizations, and multinational coordination.

I had thought that was ISOC's mission, but I think it will take more
impetus than ISOC can provide.  Also it has to be applied at many levels
-- not just the "plumbing" of IP.   For example, it is possible today to
ship cargo like explosives around the world.   But there are many
constraints, permits, inspections, and obstacles to doing it.   Even
lithium batteries are regulated.  In the Internet world today, you can
similarly ship "explosive bits" (hate speech, pornography, terrorist
manuals, whatever) around the world with little if any control.

Similarly, in the early days, I used to simply trust my email.   The
Internet was a very collegial environment.  Now, for serious use, email
is not to be trusted.   Banks, medical facilities, et al use email only
to tell me that they have a message for me, and I should log in securely
to their silo to read it.   Over the decades, email has become widely
available but less trustworthy.   Mechanisms (PGP etc.) exist to provide
some help, but people seem to ignore them - even those who religiously
wear seatbelts when using the auto transport network.

In the original Internet and ARPANET, and NSFNet, policy dictated what
could be sent over the net.  And the policy was enforced. Today?

Not an easy problem.   It's not clear, to me at least, that anyone is
working on it.

Jack Haverty