[ih] Internet should be in private hands

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Wed Dec 7 08:29:31 PST 2022

On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM John Gilmore via Internet-history <

> I recall a time when the Domain Name System top-level domain (TLD) for
> each country had to be handled by a private party, not by the government
> that ran the country.

As I recall, Jon Postel didn't object to a government handling -- he simply
wanted a responsible custodian.  In most cases, governments weren't
prepared.

The reason for this recollection is that I believe some European
governments took a role in designating who ran their initial TLD and that
CSNET did a certain amount of mediating (and I worked for CSNET at the
time).  But my memory may be conflating multiple issues as there were also
European governments who argued over who controlled their CSNET connection
to the Internet.

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and