[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:34:05 PST 2022

On 07-Dec-22 12:30, Louis Mamakos wrote:
> And don't forget about the Informational RFCs that were published.
>
> I was one of the perpetrators of PPP-over-Ethernet and it was only published as an Informational RFC.   This was at the dawn of the era of ADSL and there were a plethora of ADSL CPE and DSLAM solutions that had.. proprietary or at light opinionated and single vendor solutions.  I was at UUNET at the time, and we observed the one thing most all of the hardware could do was bridge Ethernet frames..
>
> So we (UUNET, a service provider), a DSL equipment vendor and a client software vendor built and tested implementations that interoperated and documented the protocol in RFC 2516.   All involved were interested in interoperable implementations, products, and service provider customers.
>
> It was thought to have been a short-term solution, like many things in Internet history, but still seems to be around here and there a few decades later.  For a variety of reasons, we never progressed it beyond "Informational" status, and it adequately served its purpose as a publicly available reference document that could be cited.

Not only that, it's classified by the RFC Editor as "Stream: [Legacy]" which means that its provenance is somewhat undefined. But indeed, a very large fraction of Internet users have depended entirely on PPPoE for many years.

> I'd imagine there are other "important" protocols in wide use that also went down this path.
Some of them were in due course adopted and further developed in the IETF; for example NFS and SSL --> TLS. An interesting case is RFC 20, listed as "Status: Unknown, Stream: [Legacy]" for many years, but promoted to Internet Standard (STD 80) in 2020. As a result, Vint certainly holds the record for the longest standards-track latency ever achieved.

For those who don't know, the IESG maintains a "downref registry" for non-standards track RFCs that can be cited as if they were standards: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/downref

    Brian