[ih] gopher broke, was "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 6 11:15:02 PST 2022

According to Dave Crocker via Internet-history <dcrocker at bbiw.net>:
>On 12/5/2022 9:28 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
>> I think the motivation to surpass Gopher traffic compared to HTTP (I
>> remember a graph showing the relative usage) was more important than
>> the abstract discussion about two-way linlks/

Gopher was great, and as Dave noted, it was a lot easier to get working.

But Gopher committed suicide when the U of Minnesota tried to charge
license fees for it.  If they hadn't, we might still have Gopher as
a lightweight alternative to the web for constrained devices and
environments.

R's,
John
--