[ih] Internet should be in private hands

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Mon Dec 5 12:31:33 PST 2022

On 12/5/2022 1:31 PM, Alejandro Acosta via Internet-history wrote:
>    I think this is the right list to ask.  My apologies if my comments
> are not accurate.
>
>    I have heard a couple of times that there was a moment in the history
> of the Internet where private companies were putting pressure on the
> community indicating that the Internet had to be controlled by a private
> company, that it had to be in the hands of someone, not in their free
> will. Is it so?. I think these comments used to occur when there was a
> big failure in the network (I think I've heard mostly when there were
> congestion control issues).., probably in the mid 80's or so.
>
>    Am I crazy or the above actually happened? If so, I'm looking for
> information, documentation, references, etc. If I'm wrong nothing
> happen, just let me know :-)

This might be referring to discussions during the 1990s that included
the com-priv [commercialization/privatization] mail list.

At least part of the list appears to be here:

   <https://groups.google.com/g/mlist.com-priv>

My impression was that talk of commercialization/privatization of the
Internet was largely driven by individuals and companies that were
looking for commercial opportunities.

-tjs