[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Grant Taylor internet-history at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Dec 4 08:56:07 PST 2022

On 12/4/22 2:33 AM, John Gilmore via Internet-history wrote:
> The opportunity for 2-way, cached, distributed web linking is still
> available today, if somebody wanted to write a little software!
> (But this is a history list, so let's go back to looking backward. ;-)

I'm not as convinced that the opportunity you're describing is still
available.

I distinctly remember effort in the last decade by multiple web browsers
to alter the contents of the "Referer" (spelled as it is) header for
privacy reasons.  From memory, there are four classes of -- what I'll
call -- redaction:

1)  None - use full URL and query parameter(s)
2)  Remove query parameters - use full URL without query paramers
3)  Remove the file path+name - use the referrer's FQDN
4)  Remove everything - don't use a referrer header at all

I'm seeing different levels used in different situations.  Usually
crossing origin removes more information than staying within origin.

I believe there's also a Content Security Policy parameter where a
publishing site can hint at what amount of reference they would like
back to them.

As such, I don't think that there is as much opportunity to leverage the
Referer (...) header as you indicate.

Aside:  I -- /personally/ /as/ /a/ /consumer/ -- don't see much value in
knowing what other pages are linking to a page that I'm reading.  /As/
/a/ /webmaster/ I see /some/ value in being able to glean some
visibility into where traffic to my site is coming from.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die