[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Dec 3 16:06:46 PST 2022

Hi Andy,

Yes, that's a good example.  But what kind of example....?   If I were
evaluating a proposal, I'd have some questions.

- Does anyone, other than the manufacturer's own marketing department,
agree that the "standard" technology is implemented and operational in
the product?
- Has another manufacturer implemented their own independent
implementation?  Has it been tested to interact properly with the first
manufacturer's implementation?
- Has any independent entity tested the implementations and verified it
is operating as defined, and "certified" the product to be true to the
Standards specification.
- Has any early adopter integrated the new product into an existing
operational network system?  How did they accomplish the changeover?

Depending on the answers, the example might be a successful deployment
of an Internet Standard.   Or it might be an example of a proprietary
solution that is only known to work in a network composed only of
equipment from that manufacturer -- i.e., a "walled garden" technology
which happens to use mechanisms defined in RFCs.

My point about "process" is the apparent lack of mechanisms analogous to
things like UL for the electricity infrastructure, and rules and
regulations such as building codes, and enforsement mechanisms such as
inspectors - i.e., things typically associated with mature
"infrastructures".

The "deployment process" of the Internet in the 1980s was crude and
rudimentary, but it existed and was somewhat effective.  Somehow along
the way it seems to have disappeared even as the technology evolved.
Perhaps some Historian will explore that someday.

Jack