[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Dec 3 14:19:10 PST 2022

Another part of the "process" of deploying TCP was to force its adoption
by existing network users, who may have viewed TCP as a needless
distraction and likely impediment to their ongoing work. That meant
"turning off" the old NCP mechanisms so that only the new TCP would
function.

I recall discussions with ARPA of exactly how to accomplish that. We
ended up using the fact that the ARPANET was always in the network path,
and by slight changes to the code in the ARPANET IMPs it was possible to
make NCP no longer work.  There was a rather elaborate schedule over a
year or so with multiple test sessions before the final cutover was made
in early 1983.   Andy Malis probably remembers a lot more.   We
(actually IIRC Jon P) even issued commemorative buttons, something like
"I Survived the TCP Transition".   I still have mine somewhere.

All that was part of the deployment process to get TCP to become "the"
standard in all the computers in the Internet at the time.  We were
lucky to have the ARPANET as an available enforcement mechanism.

I can't imagine how you could similarly "turn off" BGP (or any other
mechanism) in the Internet today.  Even if you were serious about doing
it.   AFAIK, there's no "process" to do such things.

Jack