[ih] "The Internet runs on Proposed Standards"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 16:48:22 PST 2022

The only reason that ISO has a two level approval is the first is to get consensus from the committee that may have several working groups (e.g. SC6 has 3 or 4 working groups that Physical Layer, Data Link Layer including LANs, and Networking) and the second to get consent across committees (computing and networking, banking, Highway signs, Paper Size, avionics, drones, etc.) that cover even more diverse topics.

The IETF at least initially didn’t really have that diversity or could one argue that the two levels were the Areas and the IESG?