[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 39, Issue 4

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Dec 2 10:01:07 PST 2022

Been there, done that -- I was involved in a similar project back in the
80s.

Definitely a Hard Problem.  But not the only one that had to be solved.

Even if you got all of the security mechanisms perfect - hardware,
protocols, algorithms, etc., there was also the hard problem of
believing that all the underlying computers were also doing only what
they were supposed to do when in secure operation.   There's a long
pathway from specification to running machine instructions and bits on
wires.

At the time of the early Internet research, government funding was also
working on "trusted computing".   E.g., how do you make an operating
system that you can prove is working as designed, and running programs
that do only what their programmers intended them to do.

That's a very hard problem.   Essentially means there can't be any bugs
or flaws (what we now call "vulnerabilities") in any code, and you have
to somehow be able to prove that as a fact before you can trust the
system to do what you designed it to do.

I remember there were projects with names like PSOS (IIRC "Provably
Secure Operating System") and KSOS ("Kernelized Secure Operating
System").   And of course Multics which had a focus on security.
Probably many others too.

But once that problem was solved, and secure networking algorithms and
protocols also designed and implemented to run on those Proven
computers, the Internet would be trustworthy.

Haven't heard much about such efforts for decades... were those efforts
abandoned?  It seems every computer I use today is continuously getting
updates to fix severe vulnerabilities.  Has Insecurity now become the norm?

Jack