[ih] Saving IETF history

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Wed May 12 20:27:14 PDT 2021

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 07:04:06PM -0700, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> As part of that patent effort, I analyzed the reload-related parts of
> the IMP code, instruction by instruction, and the interactions between
> the 2 IMPs involved.   I suspect it violated more core principles of
> layering, software engineering, coding structure, and other such rules
> than any software had to date.   The part where the network I/O
> overwrote the memory while the processor was executing from it was
> especially clever.
>
> Most importantly, it worked.

;-) Software patches/upgrades in the past seem to have often been done by
starting with a base code that had a lot of interspersed NOPs and the new
code would change those accordingly... in  running system not knowing where
the CPU was... incrementally as necessary. I have no idea when this practice
was stopped though. Sounds like a real cool coding puzzle. But i wouldn't
want to be the developer applying this to e.g.: NASA deep space exploration
vehicles code. But i know companies that kept senior engineers with nothing else
to do than being able to fabricarte such paths - as late as the late 1990th.

Cheers
    Toerless