[ih] Saving IETF history

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed May 12 20:23:13 PDT 2021

On 13-May-21 11:22, Toerless Eckert via Internet-history wrote:
> Going forwarding, IMHO, the best solution for e.g.: IETF documentation would be:

This isn't an IETF mailing list, but if it was, I'd suggest finding out what the IETF Secretariat plus the RFC Editor already archive. The RFC (+IEN) archive is certainly pretty solid. As far as I know, the I-D archive has been used many times in prior art searches, including litigation. Whether mailing list archives and meeting minutes have been used too, I don't know. Certainly, some list archives prior to ietf.org hosting the lists can be hard to find.

The same question could be asked about the IRTF too.

    Brian