[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun May 9 02:42:25 PDT 2021

On 09/05/2021 01:42, Stephen Casner via Internet-history wrote:
>    Some more
> recent books printed on poor-quality paper also do not last, but for
> at least some of those it's no great loss

And that's books which are printed professionally.

I have a huge suitcase full of paper archives from the late 1980s, which
has been in storage for years. The last time I checked, I found that the
dot matrix wide accordion paper kept well but the print faded at the
edges when subjected to air. The early laser printer paper kept well,
but the "ink" which was toner printed on an Apple Laserwriter and
several HP LaserJet series I and II, actually falls off and turns to
powder. I do not know how to set it so it does not stick to the other
page and fade/bleed into powder. And that's monochrome printing - the
moment you go in to Colour Jet printers, some inks fade faster than others.

What has kept best was the old dot matrix stuff and also daisy wheel, or
also chain printing, which ended up not only being printed, but somehow
embossed into the paper, such was the printing force... (and noise).

I wonder if today's ink & toner would hold better now in the long term.
Kindest regards,

Olivier