[ih] Link rot (was: Museum archiving (was: Re: IENs))

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Sat May 8 16:02:31 PDT 2021

On 8 May 2021 at 15:47, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:

> > actually, even traditional citations aren't much help.   if a paper
> cites
> > something like "annals of esoterica, june 1939" that strikes me as
> not
> > much help. and even if you somehow learned that there was a copy
> > of that journal, but it was in a library in serbo-Croatia
> > {that may or may not still exist - the real world analogue of link
> rot}
> > what
> > help is that.
>
> Name, address, route.  Someone should write something about the
> distinction, since we seem to keep getting them confused.

Sorry but I don't know what you're saying.   When I see a citation it generally
looks like this:

D. S. Callaway, M. E. J. Newman, S. H. Strogatz, and D. J. Watts, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 5468 (2000).

How does this relate to "name address route"?    I am clearly confused.. :o)

    /Bernie\

                 Bernie Cosell
         bernie at fantasyfarm.com
-- Too many people; too few sheep --