[ih] History of a domain name

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Feb 2 15:57:20 PST 2021

> On Feb 2, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/2/2021 8:29 AM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>> Would really be nice to have an eternal assignment history list of at least 2..3 level
>> deep. Public.
>

> Separate from the technical debate about a particular approach for doing this, it strikes me that, as a matter of public policy, it would in fact be interesting to be able to find he history of a domain name.

If I am understanding the ask correctly, for relatively recent history (this century), the biggest resource I am aware of is housed by the folks who run DomainTools. A *very* commercial offering utilized predominantly by the IC and LE communities, and security researchers.

For the gtld’s, of course the other likely resources are the folks spun out of Internic - Network Solutions and Verisign. I would hope they kept all the records.

/rlj