[ih] Funny how things work out

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:50:05 PST 2021

On 02-Feb-21 11:59, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 2/1/2021 2:48 PM, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
>>   Why weren’t they asked to take Cardullos.ma.us?
>
> The exercise of trying to write comprehensive rules that would both suit
> your concern and survive court challenges might be enlightening.

Indeed. My own naive proposal in those far-off days was that the fee
for a .com name should have been about $1000, intentionally high, so
that only companies with a genuine international scope would go there.
Everyone else would go into their local country code, like CNRI.
Unfortunately Chicago School economics prevailed: no pesky regulations,
let the market decide, and all will be well. So we got 1261 gTLDs
and counting.

   Brian