[ih] Funny how things work out

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 1 10:58:17 PST 2021

On 2/1/2021 10:30 AM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Fast forward to today, and I no longer have a clue what name to use to
> find what I want online, and the proliferation of TLDs and explosion of
> names isn't helping.
>
> I'm wondering if, from the Users' perspective, the DNS mechanisms have
> simply become unusable and irrelevant.

The model you describe is for searching.  The DNS doesn't do that.  It
does lookup. As already noted, there's a basic difference between being
able to guess a string versus being able to remember a string.  There's
also a difference between longer-term vs. shorter-term remembering.

The mnemoics of domain names is useful for shorter-term remembering and
sometimes useful for longer-term remembering.  Since it isn't intended
for searching, there shouldn't be any surprise that it's terrible for
that function.  Always has been.

> So, as a user, I don't really care any more what the DNS "web address"
> is, whether asiangarden.gv or 19876.weirdname.whatever.something.   I
> never remember those, and never type them in anymore.
>
> That's why I'm wondering if DNS and TLDs and all the name structure is
> worth all the trouble anymore.  It's still useful as a level of
> indirection to separate "names" from IP addresses that may change.   But
> as a mnemonic for Users, it's devolved over time to become useless.  At
> least for me...maybe other Users too?
>
> I wonder when the "brand defenders" will realize this...funny how things
> work out.

What you describe has always been true.  The problem has been the
re-application of long-standin (pre-digital) brand protection models to
this very different world.

d/

--
Dave Crocker