[ih] Update on filtered list posts

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:55:19 PDT 2020

On 16-Sep-20 06:29, Joseph Touch via Internet-history wrote:

>> On Sep 15, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Grant Taylor via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/15/20 10:05 AM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via Internet-history wrote:
>>> is it possible to see what other words (minus profanity) the ISOC filter considers as “inappropriate”?
>>
>> +1 for access to the list somewhere
>
> PS - I would doubt the ISOC wants to make that list public. It only invites attackers to game it.
>
> This is the same reason I never published the complete ruleset on other lists, e.g., to filter out non pre-approved conference announcements on E2E-interest.

It's worth noting that doing the filtering *before* the mail is otherwise processed is certainly an intentional choice, to ensure that the rude words don't get into the list archive. I suspect that's common practice. (There have been instances where the IETF has resorted to manually cleaning dirt out of list archives, when something highly objectionable and off-topic got through. I don't know whether ISOC has had to do that in the past, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

   Brian