[ih] FTP RIP

scott weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Oct 8 15:31:52 PDT 2020

On 10/8/20 9:15 AM, Steven G. Huter via Internet-history wrote:

> Open Science Grid published a document in December 2019
> outlining a timeline to phase it out over the next two years and
> move to HTTP-based tools.

I sure hope they fail at that.  I use FTP all the time!  For example,
I do this daily to store my ISP-assigned DHCP IP address.  I am
not worried about security and the ISP will not support SCP/SFTP:

#!/usr/local/bin/python

from ftplib import FTP

with FTP(host='isp-server', user='me', passwd='my-passwd') as ftp:

     ftp.cwd('www')

     with open('ip.txt', 'rb') as text_file:

         ftp.storlines('STOR ip.txt', text_file)