[ih] Before the DNS: How yours truly upstaged The NIC's Official HOSTS.TXT (An Internet history lesson)

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Mar 10 05:53:47 PDT 2020

steve,

don't recall exact what early 70's year yours truly started doing this
other than it surely commenced once yours truly became a "Tenex wheel" and
was able to edit
<SYSTEM>HOST-NAME/DESCRIPTOR-FILE.TXT

RST came into being with the inception of NCP, viz. NIC 8246:
https://ban.ai/multics/doc/McKenzieNCP1972.pdf
and later wanting to be changed, viz.:

Network Working Group                                       J. Burchfiel
Request for Comments: 467                                   R. Tomlinson
NIC: 14741                                       Bolt Beranek and Newman

                 Proposed Change To Host-Host Protocol
                Resynchronization Of Connection Status

geoff