[ih] Arpanet physical connectors

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Jul 23 11:54:56 PDT 2020

Yeah, lines were a problem everywhere too.   I was peripherally involved
in the 80s with an ARPANET clone that we deployed and then ran for a big
international corporation.   They tended to need IMPs and lines at sites
in unusual places which made it even harder to get them.   I remember
one time a line was needed in some obscure country (one of the tiny
countries in South America IIRC), and the quoted delivery time was
something like 2 years.  Even that was a "maybe".

As we engineers mused about alternatives like satellite circuits, the
corporation solved the problem as big corporations do.  They simply
bought the country's PTT operation.   The line we had ordered was
installed a few weeks later.

It got better though.  I remember at some point we created a portable
package (basically a PC, modem, and IMP, which were much smaller by
then) that a salesperson could take on a sales call.    A live demo was
performed - e.g., by simply unplugging the phone line from the phone on
the manager's desk, plugging it into the IMP/modem, and linking the node
in as part of our demo network back in Cambridge.  Took literally a few
minutes, and probably helped sell a few ARPANET clones during the 80s.

IMHO, part of the History of the Internet involves the History of the
Mundane - like connectors and lines.

Fun times...
/Jack