[ih] IP version 7

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 12:27:12 PST 2020

Scott's answer is definitively correct, but there is a bit more to be said
in answer to Marco's question.

In July 1992, if I have this right, version 6 had been assigned to SIP
(simple Internet protocol, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-deering-sip-00
from Steve Deering), so 7 was the next available number. Since Jon Postel
was IANA and was an IAB member, I think that explains why the IAB draft
used 7. SIP later merged with other proposals as SIPP prior to final
mutation into IPv6.

The IAB draft rather whimsically entitled "IP Version 7 **DRAFT 8**"
did not have a great reception, since it didn't actually define a
version of IP; it said "let's use OSI CLNP instead of IP".

That didn't work out well for the IAB. My personal interpretation
starts at page 102 in my book.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter