[ih] UDP Length Field?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Dec 2 14:40:43 PST 2020

At the time (late 70s), there was another issue related to UDP and
real-time applications.   The Internet was in its "fuzzy peach" stage of
development, where almost all long-haul links were established by
interconnecting gateways at user sites to the ARPANET.

The ARPANET was effectively a "byte stream" service, where everything
sent in from a host was delivered to the host at the other end intact,
in order, and reliably.  This made it difficult to imagine much useful
experimentation with UDP and lossy transmission, since the ARPANET would
never lose anything, and retransmit internally as needed to deliver the
data in order.

There was an "uncontrolled mode" of operation possible within the
ARPANET, which wouldallow a user computer to send packets bypassing all
of the reliability mechanisms.   That could be used to deliver datagram
Internet service.   However, the ARPANET managers (at DCA and BBN) were
extremely reluctant to permit hosts (e.g., gateways) to use that mode,
for fear that the uncontrolled traffic would crash the ARPANET.   I
recall being involved in several "discussions" about using ARPANET
uncontrolled mode for Internet experiments, but I don't remember any
permissions ever being granted.   John Kristoff's mention of the
problems today's operators are facing was a reminder that the issue of
how to control datagram service still has not been solved -- other than
by turning it off.

UDP functionality is about more than defining a protocol....

/Jack Haverty