[ih] UDP Length Field?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Dec 2 12:13:57 PST 2020

David Reed's timing comports with what I remember. I got to ARPA in Sept
1976. TCP2 came out in (early?) 1977, then the split of TCP/IP; TCP 2.5,
TCP 3 (at which point I think the IP doc and new TCP doc appear. Then
TCP/IP v4 in 1978 (from memory; have not checked RFCs). David is also right
about Internet and TCP going along in parallel with ARPANET and documents:
Internet Experiment Notes. We did publish RFC 675 in Dec 1974 Internet
Transmission Control Protocol.

I have a fairly clear recollection of being at USC/ISI with Jon, Danny
Cohen and David Reed in 1977 discussing the real-time application needs
that TCP would not satisfy owing to retransmission delays.