[ih] 13 the unlucky number

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Aug 11 12:42:00 PDT 2020

At the time these conventions were congealing, we were all used to
working with the ARPANET, and in particular with the TIPs, which were
the machines you connected your terminal to in order to Telnet to work
on some host computer on the ARPANET.

To connect to, for example, host 1 on IMP 6 (MIT-DM, where I was at the
time), you would type "@l 70"  -- i.e., Host#* 64 + IMP#   It was
sometimes tedious to do the arithmetic.  But there weren't that many
IMPs, an each could have only 4 hosts, so not too bad.

The early Internet systems explored different ways of specifying the
address.   One I especially remember was the TIU (Terminal Interface
Unit).   You had to specify your target address in decimal.  Not dotted
quad decimal, but 32-bit decimal.  Converting a typical IP address
(10.0.0.5 was BBN-E) was a pain, and resulted in a many-digit
unmemorable decimal number that you had to type correctly.

People had different notions of what was the right way to specify IP
addresses.  The "dotted-quad" notion was nice (no 10-digit decimal
numbers), and mapped easily into the bytes we were used to dealing with
inside packets and computers. But the individual numbers of the quad
were still controversial.   So, IIRC, allowing any of hex/decimal/octal
in the dotted-quad was a compromise that ended the discussions.   I'm
not sure, but my recollection is that JonP was in the middle of all
that, working hard to reach "consensus and running code".

/Jack