[ih] Who owns old RFCs ?

Scott O. Bradner sob at sobco.com
Sat Apr 25 03:22:12 PDT 2020

> On Apr 25, 2020, at 2:18 AM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

<snip>

> There were a few interesting glitches in the overall testing scheme.
> For example, all military systems being procured were required to
> implement TCP, and demonstrate it as certified.  But that didn't mean
> that TCP actually had to be used as part of their product operation.

just like what happened with GOSSIP a few years later

<snip>

> I suspect the IETF, and NBS/NIST, never knew or never cared to continue
> including testing as part of future work on Internet technology.

as I implied in a previous message - the IETF knew about the testing and specifically
decided that such testing was not the way to go - specific interoperability testing, such as that
done by UNH and real world interoperability testing such as was done at Interop were preferred
and more likely to produce an operating Internet
 (my performance testing was implied interoperability testing - and I found some issues in some products -
but UNH & Interop were focused on the topic)

Scott