[ih] BT patent claim [origins of the term "hyperlink"]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:19:35 PDT 2020

On 19-Apr-20 05:47, Marc Weber via Internet-history wrote:

> BTW around the year 2000, British Telecom tried unsuccessfully to make a legal claim they had invented the hyperlink.

Yes, that was hilarious, but deeply embarrassing for Brits who knew better.

It was based on US Patent #4873662 (1977) and British patent 1389314 (1976).
(http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4873662.pdf)

As far as I know the claim fizzled out. I seem to remember that the Engelbart video was used to show prior art, but in any case the claims in the patent had a very tenuous relationship to hyper-anything.

    Brian