[ih] origins of the term "hyperlink"

Tim Chown tjc.ietf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 01:24:36 PDT 2020

Hi,

I’d always assumed the term came from Ted Nelson, from his work in the mid 60’s, but looking back at papers such as https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/800197.806036 <https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/800197.806036> he uses “hypertext”, “hyperfilm” and “hypermedia” and discusses linking them, but doesn’t use “hyperlink” as a specific term, at least as far as I can see.  It’s implicit though :)

Tim