[ih] New Republic Article - "How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins"

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Nov 1 08:42:56 PDT 2019

This got forwarded to me this morning:

How We Misremember the Internet’s Origins

https://newrepublic.com/article/155532/misremember-internets-origins

This article seems very screedy to me.  Yeah we all knew that ARPA was a
branch of the US Dept of Defense.  And we all knew that in at least some
minds (especially the group I worked for, the Joint Chiefs of Staff)
survivable communications during nuclear war were a concern.

What rubs me wrong is how this article seems to try to paint people
working on network ideas as somehow evil, somehow linked to the bad
things such as the treatment of California indigenous peoples by the
Spanish missionaries of the 18th century.

OK, yeah, it is true that some some, and I emphasize only some, of the
motivations for the ARPAnet tributary stream that eventually merged with
others to for The Internet, were military and not the most politically
correct in today's world.

But there were a lot of other forces, motivations, and ideas at work.

For example, pretty soon after I worked with the JCS I also started to
get ideas coming out of Dave Farber's DCS project.  The idea of
restructuring entire computers and operating systems around networks was
something revolutionary to me.  And we see that idea now fruiting in the
web of APIs now available on the net to build applications.  AWS and
Google Map APIs are, to my mind, a direct result of Farber's DCS.

The article fails to acknowledge those streams as well as the
engendering of social networking via things like bulletin boards and
Usenet.  And to me, that removes the foundation of credibility from the
article.

     --karl--