[ih] Internet History - from Community to Big Tech?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Mar 27 17:50:21 PDT 2019

On 3/27/19 7:26 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 3/27/2019 2:46 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> I think that the change started the day the Internet opened to the
>> public (1992) and folks looked to the Internet as a commercial
>> opportunity, and secondarily as a service delivery opportunity (e.g.,
>> for Government agencies).
>

> Taking that model, the date is more like latter 1980s.  By way of
> example, at least 3 vendors were selling proprietary (and, of course,
> incompatible) versions of NetBios over TCP.
>
> But were there equivalent 'proprietary' protocols over the Internet
> (or, arguably, Arpanet) before that.  I think there were, though my
> brain isn't producing an example.
>
> Going back towards the Arpanet, it becomes challenging to distinguish
> "proprietary" from just run-of-the-mill experimentation.  Ray
> Tomlinson used a 'proprietary' protocol for doing networked email; the
> FTP-based email commands came later. But his version got widespread
> use, because Tenex was popular amongst Arpanet sites.

The difference was that, in the academic days, the overall goal of the
Internet was to support information sharing and collaboration.
Competing approaches, toward the goal of interoperability was one
thing.  But with commercialization, the goal became building &
segregating audiences - where interoperability became disadvantageous to.

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown