[ih] Reconstitution Protocol (was When the words Internet was design to survive a nuclear war appeared for the first time? thanks)

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Tue Mar 19 16:17:59 PDT 2019

I found some more information about the Reconstitution Protocol (RP) project.

SRI published a final report <https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a184755.pdf> in June 1987 describing RP architecture, implementation, and experiments.  The report cites Radia Perlman’s improved network partitioning paper <https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien146.txt>, which was also a topic for discussion at an Internet Meeting <https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien145.txt> held at MIT in May 1980.

Jim Mathis presented a set of slides called “Automated Reconstitution Using Airborne Packet Radios” at IETF 1 <https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01.pdf>   One of the slides is of an experiment that took place in 1981, involving the reconstitution of a packet radio network.

I remember there was a demo of RP, perhaps early in 1986, for several IETF members, including Dave Clark.  (I remember him specifically because after the demo ended, he wanted to have dinner, so he was inquiring “foodp?” of other attendees.)

—gregbo