[ih] "Father of e-Marketing"

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:26:55 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In May of 1864, a group
> > of British politicians received a knock on the door with a telegram
> > waiting on the other side.
>
> But those were individual messages delivered by hand, typically by a
> telegraph boy. To my mind it needs to be an automatic process to count
> as spam rather than junk mail.

Yes, much swings on whether it was transmitted by Bain auto-sender
from a prepared tape and received by a Wheatstone receiver, or merely
bulk mail with faux-imprimatur of the form and uniform of the
telegraph's sweat-and-blood last mile.

But as a social-engineering of the trusted new electrical comms
technology for marketing purposes, it's certainly a pre-figurement or
harbinger of the tragedy of the digital commons to come