[ih] Internet addressing history section

Scott O. Bradner sob at sobco.com
Sat Feb 16 16:31:08 PST 2019

there are a number of benchmarking testers that use the address ranges assigned for that purpose -
see RFC 2544

C.2.2 Protocol Addresses

   Two sets of addresses must be defined: first the addresses assigned
   to the router ports, and second the address that are to be used in
   the frames themselves and in the routing updates.

   The network addresses 192.18.0.0 through 198.19.255.255 are have been
   assigned to the BMWG by the IANA for this purpose.  This assignment
   was made to minimize the chance of conflict in case a testing device
   were to be accidentally connected to part of the Internet.  The
   specific use of the addresses is detailed below.

Scott