[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Wed Feb 13 21:24:14 PST 2019

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Joe Touch <touch at strayalpha.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 13, 2019, at 6:12 PM, Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org <mailto:jack at 3kitty.org>> wrote:
>>

>> E.G., the "Multi-homed Host" problem - namely how do you deal with a
>> user computer attached to more than one network.
>
> See below. Unsurprisingly, it involves a router inside the end “host”.
>
>>   Does it have two IP
>> addresses?
>
> Yes, and more for the internal virtual router.

To add a bit: it takes at least 3.
	1 as the “immutable” address, the unchanging endpoint of the host
	1 each for the IP addresses on each of the subnets

The basic approach is to run the host as if it runs on an overlay that uses the two other addresses, i.e., to treat the multihoming as a “link” change, rather than a network one.