[ih] When did "32" bits for IP register as "not enough"?

Dave Taht dave at taht.net
Wed Feb 13 13:30:57 PST 2019

Craig Partridge <craig at tereschau.net> writes:

> A small tweak to Scott's note.
>
> The first "we're going to run out of IP addresses soon" talk was given
> by Mike St Johns at IETF 13 in April 1989. He predicted depletion by
> the year 2000 (pp. 244-248 of the IETF proceedings, which are on-line
> at ietf.org).
>
> Solensky's talk, which Scott lists, was more important because it
> looked at depletion by address class and showed that class B would
> vanish by 1994 -- moving the issue from important but 10 years out to
> basically right on top of the IETF.

Yes, that document (ietf 13 pg 61) - was *convincing*. However the
Toaster-Net netnews thread that I pointed to is a more colorful origin
story. :) I guess I'll cite all three and try to incorporate
multiple comments here. I wasn't planning on writing an epic, though.

> Note that in a paper on Internet governance, I argue that address
> depletion concerns were the final straw that led to the Kobe revolt.
> The paper contains many references to key steps in how the IETF
> responded to the concerns
> (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7274250).

Regrettably this is not an open access publication and I let my ieee
membership lapse in the past couple years. Thankfully the DOI
is readily available via sci-hub... 10.1109/MAHC.2015.72

I'd not heard of the kobe revolt until now... and the insight into the
tension between the IAB and IETF at the time was very fascinating, and
how fast HEM->SNMP evolved, in those days, also, and also also also the
retrospective on OSI.

thx everyone!