[ih] internet-future mailing list ?

Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history internet-history at elists.isoc.org
Wed Dec 18 11:31:01 PST 2019

On 18-Dec-19 23:10, Lars Eggert wrote:
> On 2019-12-18, at 4:20, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>> A very large number of people have ACM access, and there
>> is most often a "preprint" version of most SIGCOMM papers available.
>> So although I agree with your comment in general, I'm not sure it
>> applies to SIGCOMM.
>
> You can access *all* papers published at SIGCOMM-sponsored events openly; you need to access them from the "program" page of the event in question.

Hmm. I found the slides from SIGCOMM 2019 quite easily, but not the papers. What's the link to the Trotsky paper, for example? (I got my copy by a rather indirect route.) It's also annoyingly hard to find CCR papers in general.

> (That limitation is super-annoying, I agree. It's an ongoing debate in the community whether we should go full open access, but we'd need to offset the loss of SIG income from the digital library in some way.)

Yes, I think people (especially those fussing about the pending PIR sale) do often forget that IETF and IRTF stuff, and RFCs, are freely available only because ISOC found a money tree. The same now applies to this list.

   Brian