[ih] Internet meeting - Catalina Island, California, circa 1980?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Sep 25 10:49:52 PDT 2018

More new data - courtesy again of Cliff Weinstein, who actually found
the Proceedings of that Workshop, scanned the document into bits and
sent them to me.  It's 40+ pages of interesting insight into the way we
were thinking back then, and the innards of the processes that might
have eventually led to IENs and "standards".  The discussion revolved
around the question of what it meant to "manage" The Internet and how to
do it.

The Proceedings are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NQTqt6XRtVBFQLy26

It was interesting getting them online...  I've been trying to succumb
to the hype and explore what "cloud computing" is like today.

I discovered that email wouldn't work - this list won't accept anything
bigger than 400KB.  Emailing large files is anti-social anyway.  Can't
just launch large objects into the cloud that way.

So I figured I'd upload Cliff's PDF document into the cloud as I did
with that 1983 photo -- Just like I would have done back in the days of
the SRI-NIC et al.  Piece of cake, right...?

It was an interesting exercise.  I fired up Google Docs, as a plausible
cloudlet into which a historic document might reside.  No joy - after
much poking through menus and screens, I learned that Google Docs
doesn't support docs - at least not PDF docs, probably the most common
form of document I encounter.  Seems a bit strange..?  But that's how it is.

So I found a site that would convert my PDF document into PNG images -
40+ of them, one file per page, all collected in a zip file which I
downloaded to my desktop.  I guess PNG doesn't support multi-page
graphics either.

PNG images apparently aren't Docs either.  So I fired up Google Photos,
and learned that I couldn't upload a zip file, since that tried-and-true
format isn't supported either.   So I uploaded all the individual PNGs,
created an "album", and put them there.  The link above will take you there.

I have to admit that I'm a neophyte user of "The Cloud", still used to
FTPing, SRI-NIC, and all that ancient historical cloud technology by
which we shared documents 40+ years ago.

Maybe I could have used some other cloudlet - a Yahoo group, or
groups.io, or one of the gaggle of Social Media hotspots.  I didn't
explore those.

So maybe there's a better way?  If so, it wasn't obvious to this naive
Cloud user...  It seems after so many years it shouldn't be this hard.

Enjoy,
/Jack Haverty