[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Wed Oct 24 15:46:44 PDT 2018

On 2018-10-24 12:27, Johan Helsingius wrote:

> So according to those definitions, my home is on the internet, but
> individual devices (apart from the access router) only have access
> to the internet.

In most cases, yes.

I.e., Yes if your router has a real IP address on the public side; no if
not (in that case, even your router might only just have Internet
access).

I.e., a single device inside your house might be considered to have full
access if your access device is configured as a bridge and if your ISP
gives out real IP addresses.

The case where your access router is a NAT and you setup a DMZ to a
single private-side device is more subtle; some might claim it is on the
Internet but I would say only "Internet access" because even the NAT +
DMZ might fail in some ways a direct connection wouldn't.

Joe